Having a white, bright smile seems like the standard, though most people have a less than perfect smile. There can be many different causes of teeth not looking their best and brightest. Whether you are a coffee drinker, or are genetically predisposed to having yellowing teeth, you will want to know all of your options for achieving a bright, beautiful smile. Some people may feel embarrassed by their yellow teeth, but whitening your teeth is an easy and relatively quick process. Your dentist can show you all your options to freshening up your smile so you can make the best decision for your teeth.
Depending on what kind of treatment you are comfortable with and how quickly you want the procedure to be, your dentist has the perfect treatment for you.
- In-office whitening treatments: Your dentist can take the driver’s seat in this in-office procedure. You can leave one appointment with dramatically whiter teeth. Results vary person to person, most in-office whitening treatments last between 1 and 3 years.
- Whitening Strips: These over-the-counter whitening strips are used for 30 minutes, twice a day for a few weeks depending on the number of strips.
- Tray Whitening: The dentist prescribed at-home trays that are worn for less than 90 minutes at a time daily until desired color is achieved but under 21 days.
- Whitening Toothpaste and Mouthwash: This can aid in brightening your smile but will probably not produce a drastic change.
Keeping your teeth bright
Just because you can get white teeth through a whitening treatment, doesn’t mean it will last forever. You can help keep your teeth healthy and bright by following a few tips to maintain a dazzling, white smile.
- Brushing twice a day
- Flossing once at day and when needed
- Using a therapeutic mouthwash
- Drinking water soon after consuming dark beverages like coffee, tea, and red wine, can help to lessen staining.
- Avoid tobacco products like cigarettes and chewing tobacco
If you have yellow teeth and want to know what to do about it, discuss with your dentist how quickly you want to remedy the color of your teeth and if you have any teeth sensitivities or oral health reasons to take it slow.
While the color of your teeth may get you to make an appointment with your dentist, keeping a regular six month appointment to have your teeth cleaned is essential to maintaining a healthy mouth. A clean mouth is a healthy one, and bright, white teeth can only enhance your beautiful smile. Your dentist can make sure your teeth are not only looking their best but feeling good and clean too. If you are in
Coralville, IA, give the helpful, friendly team at Coral West Dental a call today.
Like what you read? Leave us a comment below